Re: Create jpg image files of mathematical equations

Hi Diana,

There are of course an infinite number of ways to approach this, and
all sorts of embellishments and efficiencies that can be added.  Here
is one approach that I cooked up for your particular case (times
tables).

First define a function to do the work for one case:

ClearAll[SaveEquation];

SaveEquation::dir =
  "The directory `1` does note exist.  Please create it first.";

SaveEquation[mValue_Integer, nValue_Integer, dir_String] :=

 Catch@Module[{problemFile, solutionFile},

   If[FileType[dir] =!= Directory,
    Throw[Message[SaveEquation::dir, dir]; $Failed]];

   problemFile =
    ToFileName[dir,
     ToString[mValue] <> "Times" <> ToString[nValue] <>
"Problem.jpg"];

   solutionFile =
    ToFileName[dir,
     ToString[mValue] <> "Times" <> ToString[nValue] <> "Equals" <>
      ToString[mValue nValue] <> "Solution.jpg"];

   Function[{m, n},
     Export[problemFile,
       ExpressionCell[Defer[m \[Cross] n ], "Input", FontSize -> 30,
       Background -> LightGray], "JPG"]][mValue, nValue];

   Function[{m, n},
     Export[solutionFile,
       ExpressionCell[Defer[m \[Cross] n == #] &[m  n], "Input",
       FontSize -> 30, Background -> LightGray]]][mValue, nValue]

   ]

Now use this function on a list of integers as in

SaveEquation[#, 14, "/Users/dreiss/Desktop/test/"] & /@ Range[14]

where, of course the directory path "/Users/dreiss/Desktop/test/"]
should be replaced with one that points to an existing directory on
your hard disk.

Best regards,

David