Re: A Question about Combinatorica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102722] Re: [mg102714] A Question about Combinatorica
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza10 at msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 03:36:11 -0400 (EDT)

The first question you must ask the author of the book you mention.

Number of combinations of n objects taken in sets of k, is that what you mean?
The answer to that is n!/k! (n-k)!

The actual combinations carry in Mathematica the strange name of KSubsets, and in order to calculate them  you must FIRST call the Combinatorica package: thus

In[1]:= <<Combinatorica`

In[2]:= KSubsets[{"A","B","C","D"},3]
Out[2]= {{A,B,C},{A,B,D},{A,C,D},{B,C,D}}

Tomas Garza