Viewing .mx files (Question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102822] Viewing .mx files (Question)
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 00:46:05 -0400 (EDT)

Is there a way to make the contents of a Mathematica Binary file (.mx)
viewable?

I find that the best way to learn to program like a Wolfram programmer
(to write functions that are consistent with built-in Mathematica
functions) is to look at their code.  This was easy when packages were
stored as .m files.  Now most of the newer packages are shipped in
binary format.  I am assuming that this is to save disk space and
speed loading, not to protect Wolfram's intellectual property.

I am not trying to read files stored with Encode[].  I know this is,
by design, impossible.  I am trying to get a human-readable form of
DumpSave[] output files.

Daniel