Re: question about NDSolve for Diffusion equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102840] Re: [mg102823] question about NDSolve for Diffusion equation
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:31:07 -0400 (EDT)

First things first:
Is this really the diffusion equation? With the second derivative in t it
looks more like the wave equation.
But then, look in the MathGroup archive, less than one year back, for the
threads "Diffusion Model using NDSolve - Advice needed", "PDE heat equation
(inconsisten problem)" and "Partial differential equation with evolving
boundary conditions". I think you have stumbled on the same problems as
discussed there, not a mathematical necessity but a bug-like feature of the
solution method used by Mathematica. I hope you will find something
interesting or useful for your problem there. I think your letter is a FAQ,
and I think you should avoid the sharp change of C[0,t] near t=0. You might
try with a ramp in a short time interval. There are also other methods
available.

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl