Re: How to make large graphics object fit within a

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105472] Re: [mg105448] How to make large graphics object fit within a
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 04:32:10 -0500 (EST)

Show[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}],
 Graphics[Disk[{5, 0}, 2]],
 AspectRatio -> Automatic,
 PlotRange -> All]

Bob Hanlon

---- "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote:

=============
I am trying to add a disk at some location on top of an existing plot.  So I
use Epilog to add the disk.

But it seems if the disk is larger than the plot image size, it gets chopped
off.  I wanted the whole disk to show.

I tried increasing ImagePadding for the plot, and also ImageMargins, but
this did not help.

Here is what I tried

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}, AspectRatio -> Automatic,
  Epilog -> {Disk[{5, 0}, 2]}]

Show[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}, AspectRatio -> Automatic],
  Graphics[Disk[{5, 0}, 2]]]

Show[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}, AspectRatio -> Automatic, PlotRange ->
Automatic],
  Graphics[Disk[{5, 0}, 2]]]

None of the above works. But the below WORKS:

Show[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}, AspectRatio -> Automatic, PlotRange ->
{Automatic,{-3,3}}],
  Graphics[Disk[{5, 0}, 2]]]

So, I had to explicitly make the plot y-axis large enough to accommodate the
disk to make it 'fit'

I wanted to do this automatically. I am sure there is a way. I just thought
of something, may be I need to look at
Inset[] may be there is something there? which I'll do that next.

--Nasser