Re: CVS Install on Windows XP for Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105620] Re: CVS Install on Windows XP for Workbench
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 06:46:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> We are attempting to install and configure CVS so it can be used by
> the Wolfram Workbench CVS client.
>
> We have multiple Windows XP computers all accessing a single shared
> drive. We have installed CVS on the shared drive. We can run the
> server in "local access method" from a command line in a DOS window
> on all systems.  We have successfully created & deleted repositories
> on the share.

hm, I don't know CVS good enough to be sure, but I doubt that this is
save, I would really make sure that the local access method of CVS will
work with such a setup, I know it is discouraged to use such a setup
with NFS on *nix, but found hints that it is used like this on Windows...

> Workbench only appears to provide access to CVS via client/server
> access methods (pserver, ext, extssh, or pserverssh2).  The local
> access method appears to be missing.

> Is it possible to access the CVS server in local access method from
> the Workbench client?

I don't know.

> How is this done?
>
> Is this a bad idea?

probably yes...

> If local access method is not possible/desirable, which access method
> is preferred?

If you are providing service for a team, I would have some suggestions:

1) If you need CVS, run it in server mode on a server, this is fairly
well documented for *nix, if you need the server to run windows there is
a package available here: <http://www.cvsnt.org> . As you have seen, CVS
is quite focused on *nix, so you might find it difficult to find
information on installing, configuring and running a CVS server on
Windows...

2) Consider Subversion as an alternative, I think it handles directories
and binary files somewhat better than CVS, and there is also a windows
server version, which might or might not be easier to install.

3) if you are free to choose the type of version control, look at
alternatives, especially distributed version control systems. One that I
have run on windows with minimal installation effort is mercurial. With
a distributed version control system, you don't need to run a server and
using a shared network drive for a central repository would work well
(at least for mercurial).

Considering the use with Wolfram Workbench, you should appreciate that
it it is just an eclipse with some plugins from WRI. So you can use any
eclipse plugin that is out there, and there are plugins for most version
control systems out there: for subversion there are two, for mercurial
there seem also to be two...

hth,

albert