Re: Toolbar

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105658] Re: Toolbar
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:05:54 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Is it just me or others as well would appreciate a toolbar in Mathematica?
> I've missed it at the first time I've encountered Mathematica 4, but, since
> then, I've simply got used to the routine to kill the kernel or delete all
> output using key-combinations. I wonder why there is no useful toolbar at
> all, with these functionalities, and perhaps more. This is a must for all
> interactive interfaces from decades now.  Palettes are good, but actually
> I never use them, knowing how to access characters and code. And even if
> I write a palette to sport the buttons "Kill kernel", "Delete output", I
> cannot dock it in the main window, below the file menu. For me it seems
> so obvious to have a toolbar, but I don't remember seeing any info or post
> about it in the group. Am I missing something here?

Although it would be nice, it is not of the top on the list of my
wishes: my personal preference is to use the keyboard shortcuts. After
all, interaction with Mathematica usually means to input code with the
keyboard anyway...

Since version 6 it is also quite easy to make your own toolbar (per
notebook though), e.g.:

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
 DockedCells -> {
   Cell[BoxData[ToBoxes[
      Row[{
        Button["\[Dagger]",
         FrontEnd`FrontEndExecute[
          FrontEnd`FrontEndToken["EvaluatorQuit"]],
         Evaluator -> None
         ],
        Button["\[DeleteKey]",
         FrontEnd`FrontEndExecute[
          FrontEnd`FrontEndToken["DeleteGeneratedCells"]],
         Evaluator -> None
         ]
        }]
      ]], "DockedCell"]