Re: Special Characters Palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105773] Re: Special Characters Palette
  • From: magma <maderri2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:23:12 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 17, 1:30 pm, "fizzy" <fizzyc... at knology.net> wrote:
> I notice that the Special Characters Palette is diferent from other
> Palettes.....it contains 'folders' for Letters and Symbols....this has a
> lot of advantages....
>
> 1.   How do you make such a Palette?
>
> 2.  Is it possible to add 'folders' to the Special Characters
> Palette?....I would like to put 'Basic Typsetting' and
> 'Basic Math' Palettes into it and put them in their own
> 'folder'.......or, of course, add my own 'folders' and definitions...
> then I can open only  the Special Characters Palette instead of multipl=
> ones...
>
> thanks....Jerry Blimbaum

I do not see why you say that it is different.
It is basically the same as the Typesetting part of the writing
assistant palette.

In any case, the Special Characters palette is made with TabView
commands, a very well documented function.
If you want to see how a particular palette is made:
1- select the palette
2- click menu item Generate Notebook from Palette in the Palette menu
3- select the generated cell and click menu item Show Expression in
the Cell menu

The very complicated expression that you get is a "boxified" version
of the commands used to create the palette. For example in the case of
the Special Characters palette it shows TabViewBox commands.
 Have fun :-)