Re: CellChangeTimes?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105829] Re: CellChangeTimes?
  • From: magma <maderri2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 06:57:18 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 19, 12:27 pm, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> CellChangeTimes seems to be a new field that's been added, or at least
> shows up, when you apply Show Expression to a cell.
>
> For me at least, and the way I use Mathematica, it doesn't seem to be
> anything I'll ever want to use or know about, and after a while it adds
> an immense amount of distracting clutter to the results of Show
> Expression (and presumably takes up a bit of unnecessary file space in
> each notebook).
>
> Any easy way to turn this capability off or eliminate it (at the deepest
> and most permanent and most global level that is reasonably possible)?
> -- or at least to suppress the display?
>
> Any potential harmful effects to doing this, that may not be immediately
> evident?

I think I saw a way to suppress time logging, but I leave that to
somebody else more knowledgeable in the matter.
I am more interested in knowing why you seem to be using Show
Expression so often that this feature bothers you? I personally use it
veeery rarely. Last time a few hours ago to answer a post here
relating to the special characters palette. I think I used it several
months ago the prior time.
Show Expression has a very complex output and IMO should only be used
by "hackers" and not regular Mathematica users. going so low level is not too
time efficient for regular users. If one wants to discover something
very special, it is faster to ask here in MathGroup.
If you want to see how things work internally (up to a certain level),
FullForm should be enough for regular Mathematica users (that is anybody who
is not a computer scientist).
So: why do you use Show Expression so often to be bothered by
CellChangeTimes ?