complex numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105904] complex numbers
  • From: Jon Joseph <josco.jon at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 00:16:32 -0500 (EST)

All: Something fundamental about complex number initialization I am
failing to understand. I wish to define a complex number

	z=x+ I y where x and y are both reals. Can someone tell me the
proper way to tell Mathematica that x, y are real so that Re[z] returns
x and Im[z] returns y? Much appreciated, Jon.