Re: complex numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105931] Re: complex numbers
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:08:29 -0500 (EST)

In article <hh16vq$4n4$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net> wrote:

> ComplexExpand is practically the indispensible routine when working with
> complex numbers. It seems to be overlooked by beginners. No wonder. If one
> goes to Help and finds tutorial/ComplexNumbers, there is no mention of
> ComplexExpand. But guide/ComplexNumbers does list it half way down the page.
> Also, it ought to be mentioned in More Information on the Complex Help page.
> It is listed in the See Also section, but I could not find it used anywhere
> in the examples. It is used in examples on the Re Help page, but not
> mentioned in More Information. Considering how many postings there are for
> which ComplexExpand is the answer, it would be really nice if WRI would give
> it more prominent mention.

I enthusiastically second this statement.

There are a very large number of other situations in Mathematica as well
where adding to the Help files and other documentation just a few
carefully selected helpful comments, notes or pointers regarding common
problems and potential misunderstandings would be immensely valuable.

Given the immense sophistication, power, and wide-ranging usefulness of
Mathematica, Wolfram's continued obtuseness on this point is really sad.