Changing the height of baseline in Histograms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96105] Changing the height of baseline in Histograms
  • From: "D. Grady" <D.C.Grady at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 04:38:59 -0500 (EST)

Hi, does anyone know if there's an easy way to change the height of
the baseline for bars in a Histogram?  This is different from the
BarOrigin option; here's an example:

x = Clip@RandomReal[NormalDistribution[0, 5], {20000}];
Histogram[
 x,
 Automatic,
 "LogCount"]

Notice that the bottom of the chart is close to 10.  This chart is
eventually going into a table with other chart where the y-axis runs
from 0.1 to 10000, so I want to change the range:

Histogram[
 x,
 Automatic,
 "LogCount",
 PlotRange -> {-1, 4},
 AxesOrigin -> {-1, -1}]

The problem with this is that the bars don't automatically extend
downwards.  This can be addressed using the ChartElementFunction
option like this:

correctBaseline[{{xmin_, xmax_}, {ymin_, ymax_}}, values_, meta_] :=
 Rectangle[{xmin, -1}, {xmax, ymax}]

Histogram[
 x,
 Automatic,
 "LogCount",
 PlotRange -> {-1, 4},
 AxesOrigin -> {-1, -1},
 ChartElementFunction -> correctBaseline]

Is there a simpler way?  I wondered if there's a undocumented option
for setting the baseline height or something like that.  Thanks for
any suggestions!

-Daniel