Map[] and multiple args function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96198] Map[] and multiple args function
  • From: sagrailo at gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 05:33:48 -0500 (EST)

I know this has to be FAQ, but I'm just not able to find an answer
anywhere, so - here it goes:  I have a multiple-arguments function,
say something like:
   Foo[x_, y_, z_] := x + 2*y + 3*z
Now, I want to call this function number of times, over different sets
of arguments, and then to sum results.  I thought about storing
argument triplets into some kind of list, and then employing sequence
of Map[] and Apply[] to get the job done.  After number of trials and
errors, I came up with following piece of code doing the thing:
  Plus @@ Foo /@ {{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}} /. List -> Sequence
but I even don't fully understand what's going here, and also I'm
wondering is there a "better" way to accomplish this.  So - any
suggestion?

Thanks.