WeatherData - many properties unavailable?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96256] WeatherData - many properties unavailable?
  • From: Jason Evans <jason at bluejalapeno.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:52:21 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I am interested in the WeatherData function, but it appears that a lot
of data is unavailable.  For example, for the 20 weather stations
closest to "New York" (where I live), Visibility, CloudCoverFraction,
and PrecipitationRate are "Missing[NotAvailable]".  I understand that
not all properties are always available, but these seem to be pretty
basic, important properties, and this information *is* available if
you go to websites for the individual weather stations.

Example code to show the property for the 20 stations closest to New
York would be:

Map[WeatherData[#, "Visibility"] &, WeatherData[{"New York", 20}]]

I also tried this for other large cities, such as Dallas and Chicago,
with similar results.

Am I doing something wrong, or is a lot of the data just not available
through Mathematica?

Thanks,

Jason