Re: Re: FourierTransform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96253] Re: [mg96190] Re: FourierTransform
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:51:47 -0500 (EST)

I don't see anything in your post that I particularly disagree with
but perhaps a few clarifications may be useful.
I think I probably share you the view that the "axiomatic method" is
only a method in mathematics and even not a particularly useful one.
By the "axiomatic method" I mean the idea that all of mathematics
should be deduced from some finite (preferably small) set of axioms.
As I have already mentioned in another thread I think it has now been
conclusively shown that such an approach is neither  feasible nor does
it really carry any particular advantages. However, I have a
completely different view of another thing, which some people
mistakenly identify with the axiomatic method and which I think
correctly should be called "the method of proof". In my view this
method is so essential to mathematics that nothing that does not rely
on it can properly be called mathematics. The difference between the
method of proof and the axiomatic method is that the method of proof
allows one to start with whatever one believes to be solidly grounded
"truth" and then proceed deductively using steps that again are
"solidly grounded" mathematical or logical truths. Of course when we
do so we are guided by "intuition" (more about it below) but intuition
itself cannot be used as justification for any mathematics. The reason
why we must proceed in this way is not that it guarantees that we can
never fail but because when we happen to arrive at conclusions that
either contradict other established "truths" or contradict our
"intuition, we will know what assumptions we should re-examine (which
could even be the "logical steps" themselves, again more about that
below). An "counter-intuitive" result may but need not be wrong. A
good example is the so called "Banach-Tarski paradox", that played a
big role in our understanding of basic measure theory. This could
never have been arrived by means of "intuition" alone, and even if it
had been, we would not have known what to do with it. In case someone
thinks that this example is too "pure mathematical", there are equally
good ones that have very direct "physical relevance". My favorite one
concerns the violation of Bell's Inequality. Henry Stapp called this
the most profound discovery in all of science and I completely agree.
I think the implications of this discovery are so staggering that
there is nothing else to compare with them (if Bernard D'Espagnat is
right and Bell's Theorem implies that there is no such thing as
"objective reality" then all "scientific controversies", such as
evolution vs. intelligent design etc become essentially irrelevant).
But Bell's theorem could never have been discovered by any approach
based on intuition. Indeed its conclusions are in stark contrast with
every kind of intuition we have about the physical world. It is only
be adopting a rigorously "logical" and deductive approach that Bell's
Theorem could be "proved", even though it is a truth of physics rather
than of mathematics. Not surprisingly physicists seem to have given up
on it in frustration and now it seems to be studied by logicians (e.g.
see http://www.uni-bonn.de/~tmuelle2/philo/tmtp_lmps99.pdf ).

Of course intuition plays a crucial role in mathematics. In fact, in
addition to the sort of "intuition" that certain physicists have about
certain kinds of mathematics, there is also a purely mathematical
intuition. Mathematicians often refer to it as "geometry" even in
areas such as algebra (algebraic geometry) or number theory etc, where
conventional geometric imagination is not of much help. Without
intuition mathematical discovery would not be possible, since the
method of proof only helps one with verification of mathematical
truths, not with their discovery. But the reason why we cannot base
mathematics on "intuition" is that on the whole intuition is a very
subjective thing: different people have completely different
intuitions and what is "intuitively obvious" to one person may not be
at all so to another (and quite often the second one is right).
This is just as much true of "purely mathematical" intuition as of
mathematical intuition derived from insight into physics. One of the
many amazing phenomena concerning the relationship between mathematics
and physics is the fact that certain mathematical physicists, most
notably Edward Witten (the only physicist ever to receive a Fields
medal and the only Field's medal winner who, it is said, has never
proved a theorem) and Roger Penrose have an uncanny intuition about
mathematical truth which seems to be based on a very deep insight
derived from physics. Mathematicians have got use to the fact that
when Witten tells them that a certain mathematical statements must be
true they infallibly turn out to be so. This is indeed fantastic, but
the problem is that this intuition is something that is possessed by
Witten as an individual and not shared by other physicists. If we were
to rely on this kind of intuition that would be no different from
relying on the authority of one individual: Witten says so so it must
be true. We don't need a proof.
What is needed is something that does not rely on the insight or
genius of one or several individuals. In mathematics the method of
proof provides this. The collective insights of even a large number of
less than genius physicists is not a substitute. Of course, and here
may be the main difference between us, I am interested here only in
establishing  what is "mathematical truth". If you are really arguing
that "what works in practice" is good enough to establish "what works
i practice", then you are almost certainly right, but then our whole
argument has been a complete waste of time. What I have been claiming
that no amount of evidence from the practice of physicists can
establish the validity of a mathematical procedure or its truth.
The difference is illustrated by the following joke that I heard as an
undergraduate student many years ago in the UK. An astronomer, a
physicist and engineer were given the task of proving that all numbers
greater than 1 were prime. The astronomer argued: 2 is a prime and 3
is a prime. We have checked one even number and it turned out to be
prime, and one odd number and that was also prime. This provides
overwhelming evidence that all numbers are prime.
The physicist was more careful. 2 and 3 are primes, but 4 is not a
prime. However 5 is also a prime. From this we deduce that the claim
that all numbers are prime is probably false but about 75% of all
numbers greater than 1 are prime.
I have thought it wiser to leave out the part of the joke concerning
the engineer...

Andrzej Kozlowski

Witten
Penrose