Re: Simplifying and Rearranging Expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96029] Re: Simplifying and Rearranging Expressions
  • From: John Doty <jpd at whispertel.LoseTheH.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 04:44:11 -0500 (EST)

David Park wrote:

> Nevertheless, even simple rearrangement can be difficult. I sometimes think
> of it as doing surgery on expressions. I believe it is generally desirable
> to use Mathematica to rearrange an expression and not retype the expression.
> Retyping is too error prone.

In most cases, any description of how to rearrange an expression to a
specific form in a CAS will be more complex than a retyped expression. I
believe this is a theorem.

Therefore, in most cases, the easiest way will be to retype. It's not
error prone if you check it, e.g.:

Simplify[ retyped == original ]

--
John Doty, Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.