Re: Usage of #1

"Root[1+a #1+a^2 #1^5 &,1]" is to be read as the first root of the
equation
1+a x1+a^2 x^5=0. The solutions to this and many similar equations
cannot be given in a closed form or are extremely complicated.
Sometimes ToRadicals[ ] may work. If you didn't have a symbolic
parameter a in the equation N[ ] would work.

Cheers -- Sjoerd