Re: Logarithmic Plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96393] Re: Logarithmic Plot
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:43:07 -0500 (EST)

Yes, Ben,
there are several simple approaches. If you type the word "logarithmic" in the slot of the Help window you will find
some. So, you simply have not spent enough time with the doc center.

The following note I address to the MathGroup community. May be it needs to be discussed.

 I often find questions in the Forum which show that the one who posted the question did not make his "homework".
That is, he did not look into the Help before asking, did not look into a
proper textbook in Mathematics (rather than Mathematica), Physics, Biology (or whatever else depending upon the problem
to be solved), or into a reference book, into a manual etc.

This situation I would classify as the class 1. I understand of coarse, that answering any questions on Mathematica is a kind
of sport and makes a lot of fun for most of us.
However, I find that answering such questions objectively makes harm to those people who posted them in such a way. I find
that in this case it is much better to point out a book where one finds the answer, textbook, manual or finally, a key-word
that would help or any other way to go, rather than a solution itself.

There are however, the class 2 situations. These are much heavier, and I believe they are also met sometimes in this Forum.
Sometimes I have an impression that some people post here questions in which they formulate their own work in a hope that
somebody will think instead of them, and instead of them fulfill the whole work or its part. It may be a student's task, or
a part of the Diploma or PhD work, even the one done against payment. I believe one can distinguish such questions from
"correct" ones. I have the impression that the Gurus of Mathematica use to answer these as well. I personally find that
such questions should not be answered at all.

I invite all of you to form and may be, to formulate here your own opinion on this problem.

Hi, I could use some help.  Basically I have imported a set of data points (concentration of compound vs. time)
and plotted it in Mathematica.  Part of my assignment now is to post the Log[concentration] vs. time.  Is there an
easy command to do this in Mathematica?  I've played around and looked in the doc center but the only way I can figure
to do it is manually calculate the values and then plot them.  There must be a better way.

--

Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.