Re: Logarithmic Plot

In article <gmu8ma$ghu$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Ben Casey <ben.a.casey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I could use some help.  Basically I have imported a set of data points
> (concentration of compound vs. time) and plotted it in Mathematica.  Part of
> my assignment now is to post the Log[concentration] vs. time.  Is there an
> easy command to do this in Mathematica?  I've played around and looked in the
> doc center but the only way I can figure to do it is manually calculate the
> values and then plot them.  There must be a better way.

The function you are looking for is called *ListLogLinearPlot* (at least
in Mathematica 6.xx and above). It belongs to a whole family of
functions designed to automatically convert the x-, y-, or both, data to
logarithmic scales. (Note that w/o the List prefix, the same plotting
functions exist for drawing expressions.) For instance,

    data = Table[{n, Sqrt[n]}, {n, 100}];

    ListPlot[data]           (* regular x, regular y *)
    ListLogPlot[data]        (* log x, regular y *)
    ListLogLinearPlot[data]  (* regular x, log y *)
    ListLogLogPlot[data]     (* log x, log y *)

Regards,
--Jean-Marc