Default Input / Output and TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96400] Default Input / Output and TraditionalForm
  • From: "fizzy" <fizzycist at knology.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 03:39:43 -0500 (EST)

 Thank you....that was what I wanted...I was referring to the commands under the Cell heading....

Another question about TraditionalForm output....sometimes the output for Exp[a] is e^a, sometimes its exp(a).....I want to set the output to e^a....I tried the following , which doesnt work....

Format[Exp[a_]]:=e^a

how would I do that?.....note my Default Input is set to StandardForm....

thank s again....Jerry blimbaum

Setting the Default Input and Output Format were available in v 5.2  but
> not in v6 or later....
>
> what happened to it?

Jerry,

Have you tried menu -> Edit (if under Windows or menu Mathematica if you
are using Mac OS X) -> Preferences -> Evaluation -> Input and Output?
>From there one can change the format type of new input and output cells
to TraditionalForm or OutputForm for instance.

Or are you talking about something else such as style sheets?

Regards,
--Jean-Marc