Re: Symbolic matrix operations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96739] Re: Symbolic matrix operations
  • From: Simon <simonjtyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 05:03:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi DS,

As far as I know, Mathematica does not have any native support for
noncommutative algebras (such as matrices).
When I've had to deal with such things, I construct a new
multiplication (based on, say CenterDot) and give Mathematica the relevant
rules.
If you only want to work with relatively simple expressions this is
probably (powerful and quick) enough...

A group at UCSD has developed a package, but I've never played with
it.... (now put that on my to do list!)
http://math.ucsd.edu/~ncalg/  OR  http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4594/
It seems to have everything you want (but is a bit old...)

The appendix of this thesis http://theses.library.uwa.edu.au/adt-WU2007.0179/
also has some noncommutative algebra using Mathematica...

Simon