Re: follow up on pde nonlinear modeling

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96733] Re: follow up on pde nonlinear modeling
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 05:02:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ned,

You write: "Unfortunately, Mathematica returns all 240000 pieces of
data I'm using every time I call them in a variable."

I'm a bit puzzled  by this remark. You are calling them in a variable?
It's possible to call a function, but to call a variable? Do you mean
you assign them to a variable? In that case, a simple semicolon at the
end of the assignment statement will surpress printing of the assigned
data. As of version 6, Mathematica catches large output and shows only
part of it. Are you using an earlier version?

Furthermore you write: " When I open up my notebook to try to find my
results, my computer crashes from displaying so many numbers at once."

Again, this is a puzzling statement. It suggests that you have this
240000 pieces of data right there in this notebook. Can't you use
Import or the lower level Read/ReadList functions and read from an
external data file?

Also, your results are not automatically saved in your notebook. So,
opening the notebook looking for results won't usually do you much
good unless you have saved the notebook after the calculation. But
then, I don't think that a file that can be saved can't be opened.

Come to think about it: are you fitting a pde to these 240000 pieces
of data? Isn't that a little bit overspecified?

Cheers -- Sjoerd