newbie: can't Manipulate ListPlot of recurrence

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96761] newbie: can't Manipulate ListPlot of recurrence
  • From: Tom Roche <tlroche at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:45:26 -0500 (EST)

summary: I'm trying to Manipulate the logistic map. I can ListPlot it,
but when I try to Manipulate, the UI behaves weirdly.

details:

As advertised by the Subject:, I'm new to Mathematica (specifically
7.0.0 for Students for 32-bit Windows on XP Pro) so please excuse any
lapses in terminology. I'd also appreciate pointers to specific docs
rather than just an RTFM.

I'm trying to model the logistic map y=a y (1-y):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_map
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LogisticMap.html
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~palmer/notebooks/LogisticMap.nb

To start with I just tried to plot it, which works:

Clear[a, y];
a=3.5;
y=0.4;
ListPlot[Table[y=a y (1-y),{50}],Joined->True]

I'd like to Manipulate a and y, but when I try to

Clear[a, y];
Manipulate[
  ListPlot[Table[y=a y (1-y),{50}],Joined->True], {{a, 3.5}, 0,  4},
{{y, 0.4}, 0, 1}]

I get weird behavior:

1 initially the y slider oscillates

2 initially the plot displays but flashes (apparently between two
  phases) until I click one of the sliders

3 the y slider will not move

4 the a slider can be dragged, but to no effect (i.e. the plot does
  not change)

5 there are no error messages

What am I doing wrong? and how can I Manipulate this map?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>