Re: Re: listing user defined, independent variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96832] Re: [mg96782] Re: listing user defined, independent variables
  • From: "Paul Ellsmore" <paul.ellsmore at nanion.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:51:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jens,

To your point a), what I mean is that, in the calculations that my notebook
carries out, some variables get defined by the user assigning a value (a
constant) directly to them. Others get defined in the code by assigning a
value to them that depends on a calculation involving other variables. As I
understand it, mathematica creates a store of all user defined symbols as a
list of replacement rules - so it "knows" which symbols are functions of
other symbols, and which are functions only of constants. What I was looking
for is a function that could work on each symbol's "replacement rules" in
such a way as to filter out those replacement rules which contain other
symbols.

I have never heard of DownValue before, I shall explore your b) suggestion
with interest.

Thanks for you help.

Paul.