Re: DiscretePlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg96869] Re: DiscretePlot
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 07:58:08 -0500 (EST)

Q.E.D. wrote:
> "Helen Read" <hpr at together.net> wrote in message
> news:gnq6qd$868$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>> However, unlike ListPlot (which has Joined->False by default),
>> DiscretePlot has Joined->Automatic by default. If we plot greater than
>> 149 points with DiscretePlot, Mathematica joins the points, and it's a
>> royal mess.
>
>> The students are having trouble remembering to do this, though, and I
>> I'd be far happier if DiscretePlot had Joined->False by default.
>
> Mathematica allows you to set the option defaults to meet your needs.
> Just SetOptions once per session and be done with it:

I know all about SetOptions. That wasn't my point. The point is, I think
it was a poor design choice by Wolfram to have DiscretePlot behave in
this way. My students are not going to go around doing SetOptions every
time they need to use DiscretePlot, and they shouldn't have to.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont