Re: Non-deterministic numerical inaccuracies in Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94995] Re: Non-deterministic numerical inaccuracies in Mathematica 7
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 20:30:57 -0500 (EST)

Luis Rademacher wrote:
> What makes you think that this is a bug? Is there really a guarantee
> that the execution of Mathematica code is deterministic (especially,
> involving machine-precision)? I am no expert in floating point numbers,
> but I am aware that dealing with them can easily become tricky.
> Have a look at the following quotations and their sources:
>
>> We shall discuss the following myths, among others: [...] Arithmetic
>> operations are deterministic; that is, if I do z=x+y in two places in
>> the same program and my program never touches x and y in the
>> meantime, then the results should be the same.

First, the bug manifests itself as a variation at the same place in the
code - the loop goes round and the results vary - so I don't think this
caveat applies.

Furthermore, I think the reason that z=x+y could generate slightly
different results at two different points in a C or Fortran program,
would be as a result of some sort of reordering of the code by an
optimiser, and would not apply here.

I certainly think this is a bug, and I can even guess what may have
happened - see my reply to a later post on this issue!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk