How to modify an Excel file

Dear group, I am using Mathematica 6/7 export/import capabilities of
Excel files, and they work fine. The only problem is that, as far as I
understood, they cannot work with cell formats. This means that I
could not find a way to import an Excel file, modify a cell and then
export it in a new file with the same formatting as the original.

Is there, to your knowledge, a way to let Mathematica write a value in
a cell of an existing Excel file without using "Excel Link" and
without modifying the cell's format?

I have both Mathematica and Excel installed on my PC.

Hope some of you has a solution!

Thank you in advance