Re: File Corrupted

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95300] Re: File Corrupted
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 05:56:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

In earlier versions corrupted notebooks were much more common, I haven't
had a corrupted one since about version 5.1 or so (I hope this will not
become a problem again with version 7). So I and others have had some
unpleasant experience with fixing notebooks with a text editor and it is
very cumbersome.

> I have a long notebook, which I intended to use in my class starting
> next week.

I know it is probably too late for your class, but I still wanted to
make a suggestion:

Have you tried to open the notebook file with the 'Mathematica Source
Editor' of the Wolfram Workbench? It is just a plain text editor, but it
knows Mathematica syntax, so you can highlight a cell-expression by
triple clicking on the corresponding Cell-Header. I think that would
make it much more convenient to locate the corrupted cell than
everything else I tried before. For a very large notebook you might want
to turn off some of the features of this editor in the preferences, so
the file will load faster. I have no corrupted notebook at this time and
don't plan to create one, especially not a huge one :-), so probably
others will want to comment how useful the workbench turns out to be for
repairing notebooks in real life...

Another suggestion would be to not let your notebooks grow too much, but
to split the content to a bunch of notebooks and probably create a
TOC-Notebook or Hyperlinks to switch between them. In the long turn that
is not only safer but also more convenient since they will open, react
and especially safe faster than a giant monster...

hth,

albert