RE: Intermediate computational results

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg95381] RE: [mg95349] Intermediate computational results
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 05:28:32 -0500 (EST)

The Presentations package has routines EvaluateAt and EvaluateAtPattern for
evaluating held expressions in a controlled manner. It also has facilities
for creating formatted displays in any format, including graphics and
dynamic elements, and hiding all the Input specifications. An example using
a two column display with comments on one side and output on the other side
(with tooltips that show the Input statements) will be posted on Peter
Lindsay's site:

Peter Lindsay at the Mathematical Institute in the University of St Andrews
[ ] has kindly undertaken to maintain an archive that
provides downloadable notebooks and PDF files for various Presentations
solutions that have appeared on MathGroup.

David Park
djmpark at

From: TL [mailto:latev at]

I have a mathematical expression and I have to demonstrate a real world
example - an actual computation using the formula.
For that purpose I'd like to show all intermediate steps, not just the
final result.
Is there a way to tell Mathematica to do one step at a time and not just
show the final result?

For example

In other words I wouldn't like to type in all the equations with the
exact numerical values.