Mathematica Calls Home

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95445] Mathematica Calls Home
  • From: "E. Martin-Serrano" <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:55:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

My firewall is detecting outbound Internet connection attempts by
Mathematica 6.0.1.

One kind of the attempts is being rated as high risk by my firewall. They
occur at Mathematica start up and seem to be related to Java binaries. (I am
allowing these attempts, however I do not know their purpose, but I do not
care very much about it).

The following is a bit more puzzling. Another kind of outbound connection
attempts, rated as medium risk, takes place in occasions when saving my
notebooks. Then Mathematica tries to connect to the IP 194.224.66.27 (DNS)
on port 53. Till now, I have allowed this kind of connection too, but I
wonder why Mathematica should make these Internet connections. Just when
saving.

Any advice?