Figures in a Mathematica 7.0 notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95446] Figures in a Mathematica 7.0 notebook
  • From: Virgil Stokes <vs at it.uu.se>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:55:18 -0500 (EST)

I have just began to look at Mathematica 7.0 and it is very impressive.
When looking at some of the very interesting projects that have been
posted at Wolfram's homepage, I thought it would be useful to
copy-and-paste some of the figures from these notebooks into my teaching
material. After several attempts from different notebooks and different
figures I found that the right-edge of the figure often was not
completely copied  (e.g. missing axis tic labels near the right edge)
when pasting into Corel Draw X3. Note, I am running Mathematica 7.0 on a
Windows Vista platform and the copy-and-paste operation did work ok when
pasting into OpenOffice 3.0.0.

I then did some experimenting with exporting Mathematica 7-0 figures
using different formats. I found the *.EPS format was the best (at least
for importing them into Corel Draw) --- the text and figure quality was
excellent with no detectable loss of information.

I hope that this information will be useful to others that may be
working with Mathematica figures.

--V. Stokes