Bizarre Histogram behavior

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95467] Bizarre Histogram behavior
  • From: takacs at bnl.gov
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:59:10 -0500 (EST)

I have Mathematica versions 6 and 7 installed on my Intel MacBookPro.
I am also using the Optica package that currently runs only under
version 6. So I am running a notebook with Optica code with Version 6.
I load the Histogram package with Needs["Histograms`"] when I start
the notebook. Then when I attempt to execute the Histogram function, I
get the error message that says it can't find the Histogram symbol.
Now, if I go to Help for the Histogram function, the first thing in
the Examples section is Needs["Histograms`"], which I execute in the
Help notebook. Then the first example in this notebook works
correctly, giving a histogram plot of the specified data. But what is
bizarre is that the second example fails to plot. When I execute this
cell Histogram[RandomReal[{0, 1}, {1000}]], the result is a long list
of numbers with Histogram at the head. In the Help notebook, if I
do  ??Histogram, I get the result: Cell$$4753`Histogram.

Why does my notebook not recognize Histogram[] after I load the
package? Why does the Help example fail to plot the second example? Is
there some interaction between the installation of Mathematica 6 and
Mathematica 7 that now prevents Mathematica 6 from recognizing the
Histogram package? This behavior is really bizarre.