Re: Debugging Mathematica Code (Mathematica 7)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95534] Re: Debugging Mathematica Code (Mathematica 7)
  • From: "m.g." <mg at michaelgamer.de>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:44:09 -0500 (EST)

On 20 Jan., 12:57, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Wolfram Workbench has an excellent debugger
> and there are situations where you need it.
>
> BTW: What is so complicated ?
> - go to the Evaluation Menu and open the Debugger
> - now type into a notebook
>
> foo[0] = 1
> foo[n_Integer] /; n > 0 := n*foo[n - 1]
>
> use the mouse and mark in
> foo[n_Integer] /; n > 0 := n*foo[n - 1]
> the "foo[n - 1]" expression.
>
> Go to the debugger window and use
> "Break at selection" Now the "foo[n - 1]"
> has a red frame.
>
> Finally go to the notebook window and enter
>
> foo[4]
>
> as an input. And ... ta ta ta
> The Stack window show the stack
> and all is as it should. Now press "Continue"
> ind the debugger menu to see the next
> step in the recursion ...
>
> Regards
>    Jens
>
> magma wrote:
> > No, there isn't a decent explanation.
> > You can check prior posts by me and others on debugging, but this is
> > the conclusion, basically.
> > Anyway, the general feeling among knowledgeable users is that you do
> > not really need a debugger.
> > These users just sprinkle print statements here and there to see
> > intermediate results.
> > I additionally also use On[] and Off[] which help me see clearly the
> > code flow.
> > You don't really need much more.
>
> > hth
>
> > On Jan 19, 12:36 pm, "m.g." <m... at michaelgamer.de> wrote:
> >> Hello Experts,
>
> >>   I made my fist steps with the Mathematica (so called) debugger and=
 st=
> > umbled
> >> immediately. Is there anywhrere a documentation of this tool that is
> >> worth it's name (a criterion which the Mathematica 7 documentatin on d=
ebu=
> >> surely fails). I've tried a lot, but I'm still at the stage "trial an
> >> error".
>
> >> Greetings
>
> >> Mike

Hi Jens,

 thanks for the fast reply. I did exactly this what you described,
but: Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I used "step" and "step in",
to see waht the code does, but it seems that frequent swithceing
breakpoint on and of "irritates" the debugger and it's behavior gets a
bit, say, probabilisitc, and therefore I was looking for documentation
(for it could be my fault in missusing the tool without knowing there
is a missuse). So I returned to the insertion of Print-Statements.

But I would like more to have a debugger which works well - it's more
easy and comfortable like the print-statement workaround.

Greetings

Mike