Extracting Graphics3D from Plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95634] Extracting Graphics3D from Plots
  • From: "Ernst H.K. Stelzer" <stelzer at embl.de>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:07:54 -0500 (EST)

Dear Mathematicans,

a problem I have been struggling for quite a while is how to extract a manipulatable Graphics3D object from the result of e.g. a Plot3D or RevolutionPlot3D call.  By manipulatable I mean an object I can rotate or translate using "RotationTransform" and then combine with other objects such as "Cylinder".  What I do not intend to do is use "Epilog" in a Plot3D call.

I am actually looking for the CORRECT Mathematica-way, i.e. the one anticipated by the Wolfram people and not some workaround that might fail in future versions of Mathematica.

Somewhat related is another question.  Is it possible to put a texture on a "Cylinder", "Tube" or "Cone"?  I do know how to place an image onto the surface of a Plot3D output (in a seemingly correct Mathematica way, see below).

Greetings

	Ernst

img = Import["ExampleData/rose.gif"]

imgS = Rasterize[img, "Data", RasterSize -> {32, 32}]/255.0;

Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 3}, {y, 0, 3}, =

 ColorFunction -> (RGBColor[
     imgS[[1 + Round[10 #1], 1 + Round[10 #2]]]] &), =

 ColorFunctionScaling -> False, Mesh -> False, PlotPoints -> 32]