Mathematica and LyX - Graphics and equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95711] Mathematica and LyX - Graphics and equations
  • From: TL <latev at shaw.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 06:53:43 -0500 (EST)

I unintentionally started a fierce discussion recently about the "best"
editor for math stuff. Many people responded with a number of
suggestions and among them one particular solution seemed to prevail -
LaTeX. I decided to give it a try and installed the MiKTeX Win version
along with the LyX fronted for it, since I have absolutely no experience
with LaTeX.
It's almost a week now that I'm struggling to produce anything usable
with LyX and I have to admit I have mixed feelings about it. It's really
easy to produce good quality documents with the default
settings/templates. When something however doesn't look right I feel
like my hands are tied together - usually there's no user control over
it. I'm still not giving it up though and I'd like to ask a couple of
questions about the Mathematica/LyX interaction.

1) What is the best way to export graphics from Mathematica? I currently
use eps format, but there seems to be a weird bug with it - I'm not sure
whether it's a Mathematica or LyX or LaTeX issue - for example I have 2
vectors in my graphic and the head of the last one drawn is not
displayed in the final PDF version of my document. I found a workaround
for it by drawing objects twice in the graphic that way if some parts of
the object is missing it wouldn't matter since the one underneath will
be fine.

2) How do I export the equations from Mathematica? Even though there is
an Export to LaTeX option in Mathematica I couldn't succeed in just
pasting the content in LyX - so much junk comes along with the equation
that cleaning it up usually takes more time than just typing it fresh in LyX

3) And finally could someone please provide detailed instructions of how
to setup LyX to interact directly with the Mathematica kernel so I can
have some semi live  math environment. May be that way the equations
will come in the right form

Thanks once again to all of you who took their time to reply
TL