Re: Mathematica and LyX - Graphics and equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95786] Re: [mg95711] Mathematica and LyX - Graphics and equations
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:59:08 -0500 (EST)

On Sunday 25 January 2009 04:53:43 TL wrote:

> 1) What is the best way to export graphics from Mathematica? I currently
> use eps format, but there seems to be a weird bug with it - I'm not sure
> whether it's a Mathematica or LyX or LaTeX issue - for example I have 2
> vectors in my graphic and the head of the last one drawn is not
> displayed in the final PDF version of my document. I found a workaround
> for it by drawing objects twice in the graphic that way if some parts of
> the object is missing it wouldn't matter since the one underneath will
> be fine.

[...]

> Thanks once again to all of you who took their time to reply
> TL

   I don't see that you mention which OS you use Mathematica and LyX on; the following is what I use on linux and Windows, though it may work just as well on OS X.

     I usually produce my graphics in Mathematica, and then use XFig to edit them (people familiar with XFig will probably shake their heads and shrug a little, as it's sometimes a beastly little program to use -- *but* it is the only one I have found which can easily do what I want to do). My steps are:

     1. Produce the graphic in Mathematica.
     2. Export said graphic (usually as .pdf).
     3. using linux, run "pstoedit -f xfig the_exported_graphic.pdf    the_new_graphic.fig"    (this converts the .pdf into the .fig format). I think equivalent programs exist for Windows, but I haven't figured it out yet.
     4. Edit as necessary, the .fig file using XFig (or JFig in Windows). XFig has the nice property that it can embed _proper_ LaTeX code into the figure, which eventually gets typeset by LyX. This means that all the fonts and so forth will look _right_ in the final document.
     5. Include the .fig file in the LyX document ( Insert -> File -> External Material, then under "Template" choose xfig ). LyX should show a proper graphics preview, with a fully typeset figure.

    It's an involved process, though I'm very used to it now. I even have a Mathematica package which will take an XFig file, change axes to proper weights, change the fonts the way I like them, and so on.

     Best of luck. I am quite happy with Mathematica, I love LyX, and XFig has met my needs heretofore. Hopefully something analogous will obtain for you.

                                  C.O.

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10