Re: Mathematica and LyX - Graphics and equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95734] Re: Mathematica and LyX - Graphics and equations
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:49:57 -0500 (EST)

On 1/25/09 at 6:53 AM, latev at shaw.ca (TL) wrote:

>I decided to give it a try and installed the MiKTeX Win version along
>with the LyX fronted for it, since I have absolutely no experience with
>LaTeX.

But LyX really isn't a front end for LaTeX. LyX is a document
processor that can both import and export LaTeX. That is, you
don't create a document in LyX by entering LaTeX code into the
window opens when you select File->New.

>It's almost a week now that I'm struggling to produce anything usable
>with LyX and I have to admit I have mixed feelings about it. It's
>really easy to produce good quality documents with the default
>settings/templates. When something however doesn't look right I feel
>like my hands are tied together - usually there's no user control over
>it. I'm still not giving it up though and I'd like to ask a couple of
>questions about the Mathematica/LyX interaction.

I can answer some of your questions from the perspective of
LaTeX which I use but not LyX.

>1) What is the best way to export graphics from Mathematica?

I generally use PDF. But I've obtained good results with both
EPS and PDF

>2) How do I export the equations from Mathematica?

I generally use TeXForm and simply copy and paste the result
into the document I am working on. For example doing:

In[3]:= f == Sum[Subscript[x, n], {n, k}] // TeXForm

Out[3]//TeXForm=
f=\sum _n^k x_n

gives a result that can be pasted directly into LaTeX document.

>3) And finally could someone please provide detailed instructions of
>how to setup LyX to interact directly with the Mathematica kernel so
>I can have some semi live  math environment. May be that way the
>equations will come in the right form

Given what LyX is, I doubt this is easily doable if at all.