How to tell that PlotRange->Automatic has excluded points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95748] How to tell that PlotRange->Automatic has excluded points
  • From: congruentialuminaire at yahoo.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 05:01:38 -0500 (EST)

Hello MathGroup:

I have seen lots of discussion about post-V5 PlotRange issues with
multiple plots. I just re-read the help on the default PlotRange
setting (i.e. AUtomatic) and I have been thinking about the phrase
"sufficiently far out in the distribution".

I ran into this again on a fairly simple single plot:

ListPlot@Table[N@Sum[1/(q^3 Sin[q]^2), {q, 1, n}], {n, 100, 500}]

So what I am trying to figure out:

Is there a way to tell "before the plot is rendered" that values in
the range will be "sufficiently far out" to have been excluded?

Of course I can always run with PlotRange->All to determine this
myself. But I am thinking that there is some rule in Mathematica V7 that the
plot functions use to determine this [e.g. more than 2 stddevs from
the mean].

Any help in this regard is appreciated. Often I prefer the result
produced by Automatic, but there are times when I want to know that
these exclusions should not be done.

Regards..

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory