integration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95952] integration
  • From: t.p.nixon at open.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 05:47:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi, I don't use mathematica but the other day I wanted to solve an
integral and I'm out of practice so I went on-line to a mathematica
based integrator.

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp

I typed in 1/sqrt(x^2-b^2) this should have an integral of cosh^-1(x/
b).  Ok, so it didn't recognize cosh but its answer was (I think)
wrong.  it comes back with ln(x+sqrt(x^2-b^2)) it seems to have
overlooked a quotient of b in the log.

Is this a general problem with mathematica or just the on-line version
or is it me?