Re: Jens-Peer Kuska passed away

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101517] Re: Jens-Peer Kuska passed away
  • From: "Rolf.Mertig at gmail.com" <Rolf.Mertig at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 01:56:09 -0400 (EDT)

Jens-Peer death is a big loss, unimaginable for his family, hard to
realize for his friends and colleauges. He was a clear person.
Unpretending in his outer appearence (I saw him only once with a tie,
when we were asking project-money from some state investment bank, and
he immediately took it off when we were finished), but always with a
sharp intellect and great humor. I met him first in 1996 in Berlin,
while touring Germany together with Michael Trott in the MathMobile.
Since then we met often, mostly professionally, but also privately. We
taught Mathematica together, wrote proposals
for the european commision, met at conferences and workshops and he
also helped me once with a difficult economic consulting project for
the Office of Fair Trade. I always enjoyed meeting, working and
talking with him.
Maybe it is not too personal to mention in this group that I was most
impressed by the way he interacted with his son. So I hope he will
cope as well as possible with this hard loss. He truly can be proud of
his father. I am glad I knew Jens-Peer and I will always remember his
very special way of being.

Rolf Mertig
GluonVision GmbH, Berlin, Germany