Re: Plot Label at bottom with quote marks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101672] Re: [mg101640] Plot Label at bottom with quote marks
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:34:03 -0400 (EDT)

You can put text on the plot using Epilog, and FrameLabels can have multiple lines

Plot[{Sin[3 x] + 0.3 x, 0.3 x},
 {x, 0, 4 Pi},
 Axes -> False,
 Frame -> {{True, False}, {True, False}},
 FrameLabel -> (Style[#, Bold, 14] & /@
    {"Years\n\nFig. 1", "Price"}),
 PlotStyle -> {Blue, Red},
 Epilog -> {Text[Sin[3 x] + 0.3 x,
    {13 Pi/6, Sin[13 Pi/2] + .65 Pi},
    {0, -2}],
   Text[0.3 x, {7 Pi/3, .5}],
   Darker[Green],
   AbsoluteDashing[{5, 2}],
   Arrow[{{7 Pi/3, .65}, {6.5, 0.3*6.5}}]}]

Bob Hanlon

---- Don <donabc at comcast.net> wrote:

=============
The only way I know of to put a label at the bottom of a Plot is the following.

p1 = Plot[{Sin[3 x] + 0.3 x,  0.3 x}, {x, 0, 10},
   AxesLabel -> {Text[Style["Years", Bold, FontSize -> 14]],
     Text[Style["Price", Bold, FontSize -> 14]]},
    PlotRangePadding -> {0.5, 0.5},
   PlotStyle -> {Black, Black}];

Labeled[p1, "Fig. 1"]

So far, so good.  But now, I want to use the Drawing Tool to put some text on the Plot  that comes out as a result of the above code.

(Graphics -> Drawing Tools to bring up the palette of drawing tools.)

When I click on the AE icon (for text) at the bottom of the palette and bring the resulting crosshairs
onto the graph and click on the graph where I want the text to begin, quote marks appear around the label at the bottom ("Fig. 1") and I can't get rid of them.  From that point on, they print with the quote marks.

Does anyone have a solution?  Thank you.