Dynamic freeze

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101680] Dynamic freeze
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:35:33 -0400 (EDT)

 From time to time when opening a notebook containing dynamic content
(e.g. a Mathematica demonstration) Mathematica appears to freeze, and
then the following message appears:

One or more dynamic objects are taking excessively long to finish
evaluating. You may either disable further dynamic evaluations or
continue waiting. Dynamic updating can be re-enabled using the Dynamic
Updating Enabled command in the Evaluation menu.

All very well, except that my experience has taught me that this
situation is (almost?) always equivalent (from the user point of view
anyway) to a Front End Crash. Clicking the "Continue" button seems to
guarantee that the same dialog will return after a further period of
apparent freeze. Clicking on "Disable Dynamic Updating" is usually
impossible and in fact I am not sure if I have ever succeeded in
getting out of this sort of situation without having to Force Quit
Mathematica.

What's more worrying is that this sort of thing happens with perfectly
good notebooks containing no errors of any kind, including
demonstrations downloaded from the Demonstrations site. It only
happens from time to time, fortunately not very often,  but I have not
been able to discover any reproducible way to arrive at this
situation. It looks like it depends on the internal state of
Mathematica rather than on the contents of the notebook.

I am experiencing this now with version 7.01 under Mac OS X, 10.5.7,
but I think the same thing used to happen in every version since
version 6 and Mac OS X.

Andrzej Kozlowski