Re: How to make variables local to a particular notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101822] Re: How to make variables local to a particular notebook?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 04:51:01 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/17/09 at 5:02 AM, dnquark at gmail.com (dnquark) wrote:

>In the Evaluation menu I see the "Notebook's Kernel" and "Notebook's
>default context" items.  So I am wondering what is the preferred
>method for making sure variables in a particular notebook stay
>private to that notebook -- to assign the notebook to a different
>kernel or to give it a different context?..

Assigning a different kernel to a notebook does not make
variables in that notebook private to that notebook. Any other
notebook linked to the same kernel will also see those
variables. Additionally, there is a limit to how many kernels
you can run as determined by your Mathematica license.

The only way to truly make variables private to a given notebook
I know of is to use a different context for the notebook.

>Also, whatever method I choose -- what command could I evaluate at
>the first cell in the notebook to make sure that the context or the
>kernel is changed before the rest of the notebook gets evaluated?..

When you specify a different kernel to be used with a notebook,
that information is saved when the notebook is saved. The next
time the same notebook is used the kernel will be the same as
what you specified before. I assume the same is true for
contexts. However, I've not needed to do this and have not tried
it to see if that is the case.