Re: Odd behavior?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg101862] Re: [mg101850] Odd behavior?
- From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
- Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 06:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <7446401.1248002775990.JavaMail.root@n11>
Try Chop? David Park djmpark at comcast.net http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/ From: elliot [mailto:esadlon at stevens.edu] The expression 5.1 - 4.5 - 0.6 gives different answers depending on the version of Mathematica. Version 6 says 0. (which is obviously what we expect) with an accuracy of about 307. Version 7 says -3.33067x10^-16 with an accuracy of about 31. Also, in version 7, if the expression is changed to 5.1 - (4.5 + 0.6) the answer it gives is 0. with an accuracy of about 307. Both versions were run on three different computers. Anybody know what changed or what I can do to prevent such poor solutions (besides forcing a specific order of evaluation)? Thanks.