Re: Read data from an existing file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101989] Re: Read data from an existing file
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:18:14 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/24/09 at 6:14 AM, jl_03824 at yahoo.com wrote:

>Any help will be appreciated. Can anybody tell me how to read data
>from an existing file by using "Import"? And how to use the data
>imported to draw curves?

Doing

data=Import[filename.ext];

Will read the data in from filename.ext for most popular data formats.

Doing

ListPlot[data,Joined->True]

Will draw the curve.

Now, whether these two commands work or not as I've written them
depends on details you haven't provided. These details include
file format and file contents.