Re: Creating a Mandala
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg102164] Re: Creating a Mandala
- From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 05:55:00 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Ok if you want to continue to work in Basic, but the way to think to be productive in Mathematica is fundamentally different than the way you think in Basic, or any other procedural language. Yes, Mathematica has procedural language constructs like While and Do, but to really make Mathematica sing you use it as a functional language with powerful pattern matching. Notice how my functional code is more compact and way faster than your procedural code. Until you are used to it functional code may be hard to read, but once you learn it you find it hard to go back.