Re: How to handle Units of Measure

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100390] Re: How to handle Units of Measure
  • From: Teodoro <jwheeler51 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:46:27 -0400 (EDT)

On 29 Mag, 01:33, "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devr... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> May I ask you how you would enter such a calculation on a simple
> calculator? You only use the numbers, taking care that they're based
> on comparableunits(so not to add grams and kilograms etc.).
>
> In Mathematica you do the same.
>
> If you want to do unit conversions there is the  Unitspackage that
> you read in using
>
> Needs["Units`"]
>
> In this package the function Convert will do unit conversions.
>
> Cheers -- Sjoerd
>
> May 27, 1:42 am, Teodoro <jwheele... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In this very simple example if I write
> > R+iwL
> > where R is measured in Ohms, w in s^-1, L in H, I expect that the
> > result is given in Ohms.
> > Why it doesn't happen in Mathematica ? Ho can I do to handle in a
> > simple way those conversions ?
> > Thanks

It is considered unfair, in this Group, to make comparisons with other
products. So I shall avoid doing so ...
Anyway: anyone having made some non trivial calculation in Physics
appreciates the error checking provided by a suitable dimensional
check. Why in Mathematica this is so cumbersome ?
Has anyone tried to do my calculation (a very simple example of a much
more complicated problem ...):
Needs["Units`"]
X = 1 Ohm + 1 Hertz * 1 Henry
I should get 2 Ohm. Why not ?
If I write
Convert[X, Ohm]
I get the correct result, however not always the target U.M. is easy
to get.
Thanks