Re: Re: comments on Wolfram Alpha

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100372] Re: [mg100342] Re: [mg100305] comments on Wolfram Alpha
  • From: Brett Champion <brettc at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:42:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 1, 2009, at 6:10 AM, Ingolf Dahl wrote:

> Good, use Google then. Why should WolframAlpha try to be better on
> things
> where Google is good enough?
> But with this kind of letters the number of messages to MathGroup
> will soon
> reach 200,000. I am also very interested in the abilities and
> inabilities of
> WolframAlpha, but this is not the right place for that discussion. I
> suggest
> a policy where letters about Wolfram Alpha from now on are let
> through only
> in the cases where Mathematica as such also really is involved. Other
> letters fit better as direct feedback to Wolfram or as letters to the
> WolframAlpha Community. What is the opinion of the Moderator here?
>
> [I am open to comments on this issue - what rules should
> apply? -- Moderator]

My *personal* opinion is that general Wolfram|Alpha comments should be
directed to http://community.wolframalpha.com/ which seems to be the
MathGroup equivalent.

Of course comments like:

* how do I get something in Mathematica to look like it does in
Wolfram|Alpha?
* I get different results for <foo> in Mathematica and Wolfram|Alpha.
Why?
* Wolfram|Alpha knows how to calculate <foo>; how do I do it in
Mathematica?
* How do I create a docked cell in Mathematica with a search field for
Wolfram|Alpha?
* etc...

that also pertain to Mathematica should be allowed on MathGroup.

Brett