Re: Sidebar Tools

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100399] Re: [mg100336] Sidebar Tools
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:48:17 -0400 (EDT)

Something's wrong with the Sidebar configuration: After I extract the
Sidebar subdirectory of the Sidebar main directory to Applications and
then extract the SidebarAutoload subdirectory to the Autoload
directory, I now get each Sidebar menu entry appearing twice:

  - in the Help menu, the three entries Sidebar, Inform, TOC
  - in the Edit menu, Copy to Stack
  - in Evaluation menu, Kernel Quit Command

This is with Mathematica 7.0.1.

The extracted Sidebar directories are in $UserBaseDirectory, as
instructed in Installation.nb.  However, $UserBaseDirectory has the
same value as $BaseDirectory.  (This is on a single-user Windows
system, where I utterly refuse to store user-specific Mathematica
files under C:\Documents and Settings, since the latter is on the same
partition as the OS (a madness that only Bill Gates can explain).

How can this be fixed?

(From time to time I've seen similar issues with StyleSheets,
Palettes, and even the legacy HelpBrower, where duplicate entries
would appear.  The bug with StyleSheets and Palettes seems to have
been fixed as of Mathematica 6.x or 7.x, but the corresponding bug
with the legacy HelpBrowser persists.)

  Murray Eisenberg                       Internet:  murray at math.umass.edu
  Mathematics & Statistics Dept.            Voice:  413-545-2859 (W)
  University of Massachusetts                       413-549-1020 (H)
  Amherst, MA 01003                           Fax:  413-545-1801