setting selection via char positions and setting its background color

Hi,
Ok, I can found out this works nicely:

SetOptions[NotebookSelection[InputNotebook[]], Background ->
LightBlue]

but what I really want is a way to set the selection of via position
of chars:

charpos= {12, 23} ;
SetOptions[NotebookSelection[charpos],  Background -> LightBlue]

Is there a way to do this kind of action? I want to set the background
via code via char pos. Thanks.